Studebaker Freight Wagon photo courtesy of

4th Post Script ~
April 8, 2009

I decided to 'gather up the high-points' from
the James Henry & Mary Elizabeth Cory Walker Diary,
Journal Entries from 1860's - 1910
to supplement the Walker information
in Eb's family history.

(Please note: when lines are quoted directly from the Diary, words may not be spelled as we spell them today, as they are as Mary Elizabeth Cory Walker wrote them!)

Information written by James Henry Wilson in the diary:

James Henry's father, William Sutherland Bailey Walker, was born in 1816 in Virginia and when he was two, his parents moved to Kentucky, then in 1824 moved to Illinois. At 23, William Sutherland Bailey Walker married Elizabeth Margaret Head and they had a nice little farm of 120 acres in Illinois where James Henry Walker was born.
(Note: Wiliam's brother Henry McKay Walker married Elizabeth Head's sister Isabella Ursula Head and his other brother James Washington Walker married Elizabeth's other sister Julia Ann!)

When James Henry was 14, his father sold out and moved west to DeKalb County, Missouri where he and his brother-in-law (which I can only presume was James Mims Wilson as William only had two brothers and one sister) bought a farm in partnership. It contained 460 acres of good land. They lived there for eight years and during that time 'the War of the Rebellion' (Civil War) broke out while James Henry was on a trip to the southern states with an Uncle taking a drove of mules there. When he came back, he enlisted in the first call (6 month) for Volunteers in Company B Fifth Battalion and Calvary.

James Henry was taken sick six weeks before his time was out and was sent back home. He would have joined the Army for 3 years had his health permitted.

In the fall of 1862, they went to Nebraska Territory.

"Father having met with a reverse of fortune in going a brother-in-law's security lost his home and property only barely enough to bring him away. That was a severe trial to me to see Father come away and leave home crop and everything to pay another man's debts, but there was one consolation, there was not a man in the county had more friends than Father."

His father determined then to go to California.

James Henry states they stayed one winter in Nebraska preparing for their journey across the plains. Omaha and Nebraska City were great outfitting points for emigrants.

On May 10, 1863 "we took up our line of march for the Golden State with bright visions of the future. Our train consisted of 5 families and 13 wagons."

Old 'Walker Wagon'

We believe it was a Studebaker Freight Wagon
as there are still traces of the green wagon sides,
yellow undercarriage and red wheels
specific to that model wagon.

His description only lasts a long paragraph, the most eventful being that 'on the 10th of July at City Rocks in Utah Territory my youngest brother Walter was born'.

They were 100 days in coming from the Missouri River until they stopped at Honey Lake, out of provisions and money too. They worked there for 10 days to get provisions, then stopped again in Shasta Valley and worked about 10 days for more provisions.

"When we came to this Scott Valley where we had rented a ranch, we had just $20 in our family. Father staid with the family and brother John and I got work with the thrishing machine for a couple of weeks at $2 per day. When thrishing was over we dug potatoes a week for a neighbor and got what vegitables we wanted for winter. When John and I went to the timber to make rails, Father and Jo (maybe Joseph Mack Walker their brother??) hauled them out. We earnt enough that winter making rails to pay for seed and feed to put in the 120 acres of grain on the 16th of June, 1864. There was a frost that killed most of our grain. Off of 60 acres of wheat we got 180 bushels."

They rented for 3 years and then bought the Radford Ranch for $3,140.

Only trees are left of the old Walker Ranch site off Hwy 3

and James Henry worked on that ranch until he married in September, 1871 and then in March, 1872, he rented the Johnson Ranch for $600 cash rent a year for two years until he then bought it for $5,500. He paid down in notes and cash $2,100, the balance on time at one percent per month in interest.

On January 3, 1873, in stepping off a log he crippled his knees and for ten months went on crutches and after that with two canes. The Dr. said it was a fracture of the cartilage or interior lining of the joint. He then learned to make gloves, but worked under a great many disadvantages, taking two years before he could make a saleable glove.


The remainder of the diary is written by Mary Elizabeth Cory Walker.

"Mary Elizabeth Cory was born Dec. 26, 1850 in Henry Co., Indiana. She was taught both Dutch and English and at 4 yrs. old they moved to Kansas, then a Territory. She stopped speaking Dutch then as their neighbors were all English speaking people. Her father kept a store there and made considerable money. His customers were mostly Indians as there were very few white people in the settlement. They stayed in Kansas only one year on account of the trouble with border ruffians, mostly Missourians!

In 1861 when the War of the Rebellion began, her father traded his small well improved farm of 50 acres for a farm of 130 acres in Whittier Co., Maryland. The winter she was 14 years old she taught the primary school of their District at a salary of $2 a week. The spring after she was 16, she took the school in her District with 49 students on the roll. It was a subscription school and she received $75. In 1868 her father sold out and decided to go to California." (I presume that his brother was already here as she later speaks of 'living on Uncle's farm for one year, then bought what was known as the Johnson Ranch ~ which may be a part of the ranch that James Henry Walker speaks of later buying.)

In November, 1868 they went to New York and 'put up' at the Pacific Hotel. They stayed one week, visiting Central Park on the streetcar for 6 cents. On November 24, 1868 they left for San Francisco on the steamer 'Henry Chauncy' and from Panama to Frisco on the Golden Age. On Dec. 17, 1868 they landed in Frisco and in one week more they landed at Uncle Hugh's in Scott Valley.

She took exam in Yreka and received a 1st grade certificate and soon began teaching school in Union District. She taught in all about 9 months. Her father lived on Uncle's farm one year, then bought what was known as the Johnson Ranch.

These buildings are on what became Henry C. Cory's land.
It is just after the sharp curves on Eller Lane,
known to many as 'Cory's Corner'.
We were told Henry Cory had a little store there,
which Mary Elizabeth Cory Walker confirms in her diary.
(This photo taken probably in late 1970's)

(This photo taken last week ~
Time does take its toll!)


In May, 1869 she met James Henry (J.H.) Walker and on Sept. 8, 1871 they were married at the residence of H.C. Cory (her father). After dinner there they went to Forest House (over the mountain on way to Yreka). They spent the next day in Yreka, then back home to supper at 'Father Walkers'. In March, 1871 they rented Johnson's ranch and moved in. In May she bought a new Florence sewing machine for $100 cash! In January, 1873 J.H. crippled himself stepping off a log just where he had been chopping wood.

Note: There were many entries telling of James Henry (J.H.) being injured in one way or another. His life seemed to have been plagued with one accident after another, along with stomach problems.

This is a good place to put their children's names and dates:

~ Cora Adelaide Walker (later Parker) June 14, 1872 - Sept. 26, 1916
~ Ira Bailey Walker Feb. 10, 1874 - 1962
~ Etta Leannah Walker Oct. 25, 1875 - May 30, 1965
~ Clara Bell Walker (later Bailey) Oct. 30, 1877 - May 21, 1965
~ Newton Levering Walker Apr. 11, 1879 - Jan. 4, 1933
~ Ala Elizabeth Walker Nov. 2, 1881 - Sept. 25, 1918
~ Bertha Mary Walker (later Wood) Dec. 6, 1884 - Dec. 31, 1950
~ J.H. Ross Walker Feb. 17, 1889 - Nov. 5, 1889

March 16, 1878 entry: "Father Walker died this evening. He was such a good kind father and friend he will be sadly missed by all the friends as well as his own family. The river is so high that people will have to go to the funeral past Mr. Hovenden's some eight miles farther than the way we usually go. Services were held in the Odd Fellows Hall. It was one of the largest funeral processions ever in the valley, not withstanding the bad roads and high water."

April 11, 1879 entry: "Today is Good Friday and another baby is born to us. A nice little boy, our second boy and we have named him Newton Levering."

Note: There were many entries about how sick Newt was as a child, especially when he was one year old he 'fell off from 23 lbs. to 16 lbs. in 3 weeks time. His head gathered inside and broke running out of his right ear. He has suffered dreadfully and cries pitifully." So this may have affected his hearing.

June 18, 1880 entry: "Mr. Shelley, J.H. and Frank Walker began taking their milk to the factory for cheese last evening. Jim has bought a one horse cart with the bed on springs to haul the milk in, and I think I and the children will enjoy ourselves very much visiting in it. We have bought 40 acres more land from Father. Pay $20 per acre. 'Baby's Farm' Papa calls it."

W.D. Shelley

Jan. 11, 1881 entry: "The wind blew very hard all day and night, blowing down fences, etc. In the evening it began to rain and rained steadily for about 65 hours, then ceased raining for a short time and commenced raining again in the evening and showered all day Sat., clearing up Sat. evening. Did a great deal of damage washing away fences, bridges, & C. Stages could not travel for 3 or 4 days. The central part of the valley looked like it was covered with water."

April 27, 1881 entry: "Today Newty went down to the pig pen. Climbed in and was going to catch a pig. The old sow came after him, Etta screamed and their father got there in time to save him from being torn to pieces."

Dec. 23, 1881 entry: "We were all to Uncle Charley's to Christmas Tree and Christmas dinner. Newty was better pleased than anybody with a real little ax and chopped the rocking chair first thing when we got home. But as soon as told better, changed to a stick of wood."

Mar. 20, 1882 entry: "Turned very cold last night. Thermometer down to zero. Ed Walker (presumed to be William Edward Walker, J.H.'s younger brother) was up to see us last evening. He and Frank (presumed to be Benjamin Frankin Walker, J.H.'s younger brother also) are living at Forest House, having bought a share of the property."

Dec. 6, 1884 entry: "We butchered sixteen hogs and a beef this week, made over 200 lbs. of sausage today. Papa went to the Fort with sausage and other trade. Before he got home another little girl was born to us (Bertha). It is very small weighs seven one half lbs., but looks smaller."

Feb. 27, 1887 entry: "Kept on snowing almost every day and night until 24th. Cleared up at night. Morning of 28th two degrees below zero. There has been seven feet and two inches of snow at Etna but of course it thawed and settled considerably between storms. Five feet altogether at the Fort. Reports of cattle dying on the ranges."

Dec. 25, 1888 entry: "Christmas Day. Our principle present was a large platform easy chair. During the summer we got a nice organ and pony for the children and range for me. So we have fared extra well in the way of presents we did not expect this year. It has been a very pleasant winter, not very cold and no snow yet. Two or three rains. This winter has made a semi-tropic record of mildness. The Scott Bar Stage crossed the mountains without snow to obstruct on New Years Day, the first time within the memory of the oldest inhabitant."

Nov. 5, 1889 entry: "Our blessed boy was called away today. At half past twelve our little darling (J.H. Ross Walker) went to rest (8 months, 18 days). Just fell asleep so calmly and peacefully to wake in Jesus arms. Two weeks before he took a cold we did not think him seriously ill until the very last. Mr. Redds preached the funeral sermon in Crystal Creek Church thence we bore him to the Odd Fellows & Mason's Cemetery at Fort Jones."

Jan. 15, 1890 entry: "Wind blew very hard and snowed all day quite a blizzard, snows some almost every day and night. Sunday the 12th snowed very hard all day, wind blew hard toward evening. The children kept measuring the snow. It is about 32 in. Monday 13th had two men and two teams to help get the snow off the barn. Papa & Ira drove the teams. It was very hard as the sled would upset with Papa every little while and Ira had to wade through the deep snow to his waist and it just tired him out. Snow was 30 inches on the buildings after all had thawed and settled."

Jan. 24, 1890 entry: "This morning our new barn almost fell in. The weight of snow on the roof split six posts and pulled a beam out. All caused by one pin not being properly driven in. It broke off thus leaving too much strain on another, it broke and so on. Everyone that looked at it thought it would go down in a little while. Mr. George Tebbs went up on the roof and began throwing the snow off. Then Mr. A. Doney went on the south end of the roof to shoveling and soon they had a good part of the snow off. Others shoveled on the other side and by noon the barn was pretty well cleared. Then they took wire and made cables to draw the barn together again. By Sunday evening they had so that they considered it safe once more. It has been snowing almost all the time for over one month and we are all completely tired out. The girls had to shovel snow, carry water to the horses, swill to the pigs, wood in, etc. yesterday."

Feb. 2, 1890 entry: "Sunday and Monday there was such a slush of water and snow we could not walk in the corral without gum boots, sometimes they would go in almost over them. Sunday afternoon Papa and Ira went down to help Uncle Jim (probably James Washington Walker) make a boat to feed his stock. They cannot get to them for the water. They were without hay for 3 days."

Apr. 20, 1891 entry: "The boys got a honey extrador. The bees are making a great deal of work. They, Jim and the boys have been making bees was and scattering it over everything on the ranch, about ruining tubs of everything else. Ira thought he would make an improvement on straining the bees was so he weighted the sacks down in the boiler and burned them up, forgot to put sticks underneath."

Feb 7, 1892 entry: "There is still considerable snow on the ground around the shady sides of the buildings and in the timber but is almost gone in exposed places. Monday, Jan. 24th the wind blew very hard. Blew down 17 pine trees in our neighborhood. The school boys have been sawing some of the trees up. The little boys sold theirs to Aunt Addie and had 25 cts each for their trouble. It blew the roof off our slaughter house again and they moved the wheel into the barn now."

July 1, 1892 entry: "After an illness of 5 weeks, my father, Henry Cory, died this morning. He was born in Henry Co., Indiana Jan. 24, 1830 and was married to Hannah Eller Jan. 24th 1850. His parents were Daniel Cory and Mary Howard. Ten children were born to them, three died in infancy. The rest have all lived to a good old age:
~ Israel Cory, Henry C. Cory, Mathew Cory, Adam Cory, Michael Cory, David Cory and Nancy L. Cory Barner.

To my mother and father were born eleven children:
~ Ada Druzilla; Mrs. J.H. Walker, Scott Valley, CA.; L.H. Cory, Edgewood, CA.; Aron E. Cory, Callama, Indiana; E. N. Cory, Spokane, WA; Mrs. J.R. Davidson, Reardon, WA; W.E. Cory, Edgewood, CA; Mrs. C.W. Mote, Joseph, OR; Mrs. J.R. Estes, Miss Ina Cory and Frank Cory all of Etna, CA."

Nov. 6-21, 1892 entries:
~ "Last week the Chinamen were here and packed our apples to 'send below' (like we now say: 'go below' or 'over the mountain' or 'what's the weather on top'??? It is a language all its own here in the valley!). 120 boxes, 50 cts. per box for 1st grade, 40 cts. for 2nd, 40 lbs. in a box.
~ Today we killed ten hogs and a beef, will keep 8 ½ of the hogs for our own use."
~ Papa (she calls her husband James Henry ' Papa') has gone to Yreka to take Aunt Matt and Etta to go below for the purpose of having their eyes treated.
~ Etta's eyes are not seriously affected. A little stigmatism, a little long sightedness has to have glasses ground expressly for her."

Dec. 24, 1892 entry: "I rec'd two prs. of very nice linen towels from Papa which will be very much prized as they came from my Father's store."
(Note: I have asked around and from what people recall, the Cory's ranch was at the sharp bends in what is now Eller Lane and they had a store there . . . I guess one of the first in the valley . . . that area sometimes called 'Cory's Corner'.)

Jan. 20, 1894 entry: "About 4 o'clock this morning there was a heavy peal of thunder, seemed to go the length of the Heavens over the valley, rumbling and roaring, sounded so strange this season of the year."
"The Proffessors at Etna say it was a Metior burst instead of thunder as there was a light before and after."

Jul. 6, 1894 entry: "The Great Strike of 1894 is before us since June 27 we have had no mail from the East or below as all trains are stopped. The trainmen refusing to haul the Pulllman cars on account of Pullmans cutting down wages and raising the rent."

July 19, 1894 entry: "No mail was rec'd from outside the County for 3 weeks and letter sent from Sisson 27th June was rec'd 23rd of July."

Aug. 3, 1894 entry: "Weather extremely hot for a few days. The Siskiyou Creamery is now being built. We have shares. Mr. Green is Pres., J.W. Walker is Sec., Mr. Carlick (Carlock???), Treas. We hope it will save us considerable work."

Jan. 31, 1895 entry: "Cora has been home two months and we have been so busy preparing for her wedding which is to take place tonight at eight o'clock. The wedding dress is canary colored silk. Etta as bridesmaid wears pink cashmere. Our house is so small we have the wedding at Grandma Walkers."

Feb. 1, 1895 entry: "Mr. and Mrs. Robert T. Parker (Cora Adelaide Walker Parker) started to San Francisco on Wedding trip, weather just lovely."

May 9, 1895 entry: "After a short illness we have lost Dear Mother Cory. She just fell asleep in Jesus, no severe pain at all. Six of her ten children were with her: Mary, Lewis, Will, Elda, Ina and Frank, who is in the army came the night before she died. Mother was born in Preble Co., Ohio Feb. 13, 1832."

May 13, 1895 entry: "We have concluded to build a new house this summer, the men begin hauling rock for the foundation today."

Note: We have not quite determined where their old house or new house was in relation to where we now live.

May 22, 1895 entry: "The mason began laying the corner stone foundation today. The girls put a bottle under the large rock at the northwest corner stating that J.H. Walker was building the house in summer of 1895 and names of persons present: J.H. Walker; Mrs. J.H.; Cora Parker; Etta, Ira, Newton, Clara, Bertha Walker; J.R. Estes; T. McQuade; Ed Fossett. Lizzie being at school was not present."

June 12, 1895 entry: "The C.C.S.S. picnic was held today. I had charge of affairs. We had a nice crowd and did well at the stand. Receipts $109.25 cleared $61.35. The first sight greeting our eyes on turning the corner at the main road was the studding of our new house going up."

June 30, 1895 entry: "The last week of June has been extremely warm. Papa and Phillip Pitts are hauling lumber from Yreka."

Sept. 16, 1895 entry: "This afternoon the hired carpenters Messrs Thomas & Merlin quit work on the house. There is still some work for Ira to do: steps to make, molding to put up, closets to finish, etc. We have had so many to do for and so much extra all summer. Twice we had 22 for meals but the house will be very nice when finished. Painting not all done yet."

Oct. 17, 1895 entry: "Henry Shultz helped scrub the remainder of the down stairs rooms today. It was such a relief to have him do it. Papa and I moved into the south bedroom yesterday and overslept this morning. The boys built a fire then came and rang the doorbell which awakened me. They thought it was a good joke."

Oct. 19, 1895 entry: "We moved into the new house. The children are wonderfully excited over it. When they brought the organ in, Bertha played and Newton played the harp and the children all had a dance. Minnie Shull was up and Ella Estes called a little while. Company the first day in the house."

Nov 1, 1895 entry: "Put the new carpet down on parlor floor and have enough for library and front hall."

Nov. 22-23, 1895 entry: "They have been tearing down the old house that we have lived in for more than 23 yrs. The old house stood up pretty well. Ira had to knock out nearly all props before it would come down. Papa found a dime on the mantel and Bertha found cts. under the house."

Dec. 25, 1895 entry: "The first Christmas in the new house and we have a tree for the children. All our family and Rob (Cora's husband) are present. Also Mr. Shelley; Mr. & Mrs. Gardner; Ethel; L.H. Cory & sons; Mr. E. Cory, wife and son; J. R. Estes and family; Albert Denny & family. In all about 30 present and a very pleasant time we had, each one was remembered with some little present."

July 31, 1897 entry: "This year our men have been revolutionizing their work. Have bought a cream separator, churn & tread power. Ira has made butter worker & other things to numerous to mention. They are delighted with the change in the dairy work and the cows are doing fine. They have also built a blacksmith shop across the road and bought a set of tools. The boys are fascinated with the work."

Sept. 3, 1897 entry: "Today we have been married 26 years and feel thankful we are still spared to each other & our family. Etta has been offered a position in Yreka school and has accepted. Third room at a salary of $80 per month. She will board at her Uncle B. F. Walkers." (Benjamin Franklin Walker)

Jan. 15, 1898 entry: "Ira goes to see Cora (Plowmans Valley), rides Daisy and goes over the mountains from Denny's. Had a tedious ride. But nice time, comes home the 16th hurrying home to finish sawing machine and cut the years wood."

Feb 4, 1898 entry: "Ira's machine was a success and the wood is done: 80 tiers. Only cost $24 for hired help sawing logs, cutting trees, etc. It runs with four horse power and does fine work."

July 17, 1898 entry: "Ira has been working so hard on a machine to load and rake hay at once and now has to give it up until he can have rake teeth made to order. We feel so sorry for he and his father are both driven, working so hard to get it completed."

Oct. 12, 1899 entry: "We are building the new brick dairy. The first masons were the Armstrongs, then the Childers from Medford, Oregon finished up. Ira working all the time to keep things going."

Nov. 4, 1899 entry: "Papa and the boys have bought another ranch, the Abbott Ranch between Grandma Walkers and Mr. Shelley's. Price $4,500"

Only trees left of the old Abbott Ranch site off Hwy 3


Mar. 27, 1900 entry: "Opened the new creamery, with Ira as Boss Buttermaker and Newton as Boss Ranchman now."

April, 1900 entry: "Have built, equipped and started a cream separator at Goodale & Walker ranch. Will Burton will run the station."

Jul. 4, 1900 entry: "The girls & Newton go to the Fort for celebration. Papa intended to go but was sick with malaria. Grandma Walker came up & stayed with us. I had 3 men for dinner as Ira had to run the creamery and Will Burton brought cream from station."

Nov. 25, 1900 entry: "J. H. starts to S.F. with about 10,000 lbs. of butter to sell. The balance of seasons run about 40,000, having all been sold in this country."

Jan. 3, 1901 entry: "Still snowing 40 in. deep on level, drifted 5 and 6 ft. The hired men off for holidays. Papa & boys have a hard time. We can only go out the doors that open on north porch. The snow is drifted so deep and no paths from them. No travel on the road. Papa was 6 hours going to John Wilsons. He was suffering from cold & exposure when he got home. Had been off horses in snow so much, had to come back and change horses once as the little ones would throw themselves and act so. The boys were 55 minutes going to the lower ranch, one riding ahead, then the other."

Jan. 4, 1901 entry: "Three men here today helping shovel snow. We have lost no buildings only part of a shed. Mr. Shelley's barn has fallen in and the Crystal Creek School House."

Cheeseville looking north on Callahan-Yreka stage route, 1889,
owned then by W. D. Shelley.
The white building being the cheese factory

Jan. 10, 1901 entry: "The boys & Mr. Shelley's men have been trying to break the road for sleds by plowing and driving horses through the snow. Used six horses to drag bricks over the snow to break road. There is so much snow it is very difficult traveling. For 12 days they had no mail in Ft. Jones as Stage could not come over the mountain. The Gazelle Stage brought mail that way all the time."

Mar 1, 1901 entry: "In starting up the Creamery this year they are putting in a combined churn & butter worker. A great piece of machinery. So much to do this spring as the snow delayed work so. We have had men cut all the trees off the corner lot on lower place & they are sawing lots of wood."

Feb. 25, 1902 entry: "Ira got his patent on his butter cutter. It has been a joke of his since out of school that he had no paper to tell how smart he was, but now he has one!"

July 25, 1903 entry: "Newton went out on Butte Creek and purchased six nice horses from the Y.C. Ranch. In June we got our new surrey and now I can ride with the family once more. Such nice spring cushions.

Aug. 13, 1903 entry: "Etta and I in Pacific Grove for a rest, hoping much for the improvement in Etta's health. (At first it was thought Etta had typhoid fever, but it proved to be nervous prostration with paralysis of the left leg).We were going to stay until the last of Sept. as we got very comfortable accommodations, a two room cottage for $10 per month. I could sit at the window and write letters or read and look out on the bay which I did a great deal of the time. Etta spent a great deal of the time on the beach. We stayed 7 weeks and we were preparing to stay another month when we received a telegram saying 'Come home the 29th, Ira sick, nothing serious'. We packed that night and wrote several letters and cards explaining to friends. We could not sleep until after twelve, consequently were very nervous and tired. Next day came up by Stanford and through San Francisco. Papa and Newton met us in Yreka. Bertha came home on the Yreka Stage that night, while the rest drove to Mr. Browns at Forest House and stayed the night."

Oct. 1, 1903 entry: "Found Ira a very sick boy indeed with Typhoid fever but Dr. Bathurst got the fever broken in 10 days. It left him very weak and it was nearly 5 weeks before he could come downstairs to stay."

Sept. 9, 1904 entry: "Papa, Etta and Ina Denny came for me (Plowmans Valley). I did hate to leave Cora and the babies though I was glad to get home again. Goo Chinaman and the girls got along nicely with the work, dried plums, put up fruit, etc. Mr. Stephensen the creamery man has retired and Mr. Demereth from Wisconsin has taken his place. He has wife and 2 children, is a good creamery man and we have built a house up at the corner of field for him."

Oct. 10, 1904 entry: "There is an abundance of fruit of all kinds this year and we have dried a quantity of plums and put up 200 one-half gal, 100 qts. and pts. We have built an addition to the house of new dining room and pantry and take great comfort in it."

Jan. 5, 1905 entry: "Ira and Clara start on a trip for pleasure and business. Ira's health has not been good since had the fever fall of 1903."

Feb. 16, 1905 entry: "Ira and Clara returned. They visited Sacramento, Stockton, (Uncle Harim Eller's), San Francisco, Oakland, San Jose and stayed for 3 weeks at Pacific Grove, a health resort on Monterrey Bay. They had a beautiful time but are glad to get home."

Nov. 29, 1905 entry: "Ira Bailey Walker married Elizabeth Gertrude Fay in Scott Valley. The working men at the ranch gave Ira and Lida silver knives, forks, tablespoons, and teaspoons. Papa a pair of white blankets, I a comforter, Clara and Elizabeth picture frames. Bertha a beautiful burnt table, her own work, a Dutch tea table. Newton, a half dozen chairs."

Feb. 22-23, 1906 entry: "Papa starts on a business trip. On R.R. meets Mr. Brown of Hazelwood Creamery, the largest Creamery Association on the Pacific Coast. He came over in the valley and we sold out our creamery outfit to him and rented the building for 5 years. Sold 5 horses, one stage, two cream wagons, harness, large churn pasteurizer, etc. Reserving separator, steam engine & electric light, motor, also pump. Papa has been 34 years working up a butter trade and we feel pretty bad to have to sell out. We had a good trade and many friends who did not want us to quite. Some cream customers would have stayed with us, but the other party was constantly bidding up and causing us so much trouble we could not get cream enough and thought it better to sell out while we could. Always before there would be something to buy or build or change. This spring we were ready to go to work without extra expense. Customers were writing for butter from Medford, Oregon; Spokane, Washington to Los Angeles, California. Another example of the big fish in the sea swallowing up the little ones. Either Ira or Newton have been making the butter since last August and they are fine buttermakers but we did not want them to stay in the creamery and would have hired a buttermaker."

March 1, 1906 entry: "Hazelwood takes possession of our milk route and we are out. Goodbye!"

March 17, 1906 entry: "This week Papa and the boys have bargained for the Hunt Ranch across the valley. A nice ranch of 500 acres with 10 head of horses, some harness and farm machinery for $20,000. We are mortgaging our ranches to raise the money to pay on that one. There is quite an excitement on the R.R. question now and we think it is a good time to invest in land."

March 25, 1906 entry: "We all went over to see the new ranch and found it a very nice place with good house and barns and other out buildings. It is five miles over there and we come home pretty tired."

Note: We have not quite determined where the Hunt Ranch was on the Eastside.

March 28, 1906 entry: "Clara made a kettle of soap this forenoon and I packed things in readiness for their going over across the valley to put in the crop."

March 29, 1906 entry: "This morning Newton and Billy Stark went with two loaded wagons, wood provisions, kitchen utensils, crushed barley. They took 10 horses. Clara went to cook for them. Papa and Ira went over in the spring wagon and took Clara a load of things. We miss Clara as she always seen to things since my back is so weak. We have a china cook, but she thinks it will be easier on me to leave him here while she goes over there. She began a rug to work on and took her embroidery along, she will cook in the wash house. Mr. Wong Sing is our cook and has been here since last May."

March 30, 1906 entry: "Last night Harry Wallthers, engineer of Yreka Railroad and Mr. Roseborough, who expects to build a railroad to Scott Valley from Yreka stayed here. Mr. R. played and sang negro songs. Bertha played. Mr. R. told Papa, 'She had a great deal of musical ability that her touch was so good and she played her notes so distinctively, not missing them."

April 18, 1906 entry: "This morning at 5:15 a.m. we were awakened by racking of the bed, then a second shake. The chickens squalled and kept on for a few minutes. News from San Francisco is appalling. Many building were wrecked and fire broke out. The suffering is great, people camped out in the public parks. People all over the country sending supplies, money and food. Santa Rosa was almost totally destroyed. San Jose partially and many of the coast town injured."

May 1, 1906 entry: "Crops took fine and the weather is beautiful. Clara has come home again and I have been very busy getting Etta ready for a trip up north to Portland, Spokane and Washington. She has not been strong enough for so long, has been under the Dr.'s care a great deal of the time for four years, but now she seems well, though not much strength and we hope much from the change."

June 7, 1906 entry: "Our annual Crystal Creek Picnic was held today. Dear Grandma Walker went to the picnic but got very tired so Ira took her and Matt home at 2 pm. We were so anxious for Lida to go to the picnic as she had never been, but Mrs. Fay (her mother)'s house burned the night before and she was so nervous and sick she could not go."

June 9, 1906 entry: "Grandma (Walker) is sick. Does not seem to be any particular disease, just gradual weakening."

June 20, 1906 entry: "This evening Grandma passed over to meet the loved ones beyond. James H. (Papa), Joe, Ed, Matt (Martha Isbel Walker) and Addie (Mary Adeline Walker), 6 of her 12 children were with her when she passed away. Just went to sleep to awaken with Jesus in her home above. She was 83 yrs. 4 mo. and 21 days old. Grandma's mind was clear until the last and she talked a great deal of her children and of times long past. She was proud of her boys, she would say so often 'I raised some nice boys Mary. I never heard one of them swear or smelled whiskey on their breath. I am awfully proud of my boys.' Rev. S. E. Crowe of the Methodist Church preached her funeral sermon. She had been a Methodist since quite young. Matt will make her home with us for awhile."

July 11, 1906 entry: "Papa and I went over to the Hunt Ranch to stay for 3 days. The garden is real nice. I went to rest but the mice had gotten into things and it took all my spare time to straighten up things and put them in cans so the mice could not feast. We enjoyed it though, all alone in the house. It was so restful. The girls have been over and cleaned the house. We took a ride on Thursday eve., around to see the upper side of the ranch and to call on Nellie Bryan. She gave us two dozen eggs. When we came home we were caught in a heavy thunder storm and stopped at Mrs. Dowling's for awhile."

Oct. 22, 1906 entry: "The men brought 150 head of cattle of J. H. Walker to feed as we have lots of hay and feed. They are also feeding 89 hogs."

Nov. 1906 entry: "This month passed off very quietly, the men did some plowing and seeding on the Hunt ranch. Carl Estes is staying at the Hunt ranch feeding the cattle. Ira is kept busy feeding the hogs five times a day. We will keep 10 hogs for our own use. Get .06 cts. per lb. for the rest. Will have to feed them until Christmas.

Nov. 29, 1906 entry: "Thanksgiving Day, killed a turkey and two chickens. Manis Shulls and Ed Walkers ate Thanksgiving dinner with us. Dear Grandma and Matt were missed. Matt is living in Yreka. Ellen (Lorena Walker) Doney and girls, Addie and family, Matt, Leyla Sharpeggar, husband and father-in-law are all livng in the Old Yreka Hotel. The Abbots own it."
Aug. 7, 1907 entry: "Today Papa presents me with a beautiful little gold watch as a token of his love. He thinks it makes me look so nice and matronly, but I feel very sad as I knew it will perhaps be his last gift to me."

Aug. 9, 1907 entry: "We hoped that Papa would be better but he continues to grow weaker, sleeps most of the time. Sometimes he would say, 'This is so much trouble Mary, I hope it will not last long'. One day he looked up and ask me 'how long since Mother died?' It was one year ago last June. As a young man he used neither tobacco or liquors of any kind. Never had any use for wine, cards or any of the other habits they foster, but 4 years ago the Doctor advised him to smoke after meals for his stomach trouble. It seemed to soothe him and help keep his food down. He has continued this until this week as he is too weak to sit up and does not smoke anymore. Whenever the weather has been pleasant he would sit on the porch and watch the cattle feeding in the meadow, the chickens in the corral and the crops in the field. So many times he has said, 'Mary those mountains have never looked so beautiful to me as they do this summer.' Dear Papa, we will look at those mountains and try to enjoy them for your sake."

Aug. 18, 1907 entry: "The last came so peacefully. Just went to sleep with Jesus, once he whispered 'Thank God! Thank God'. As well as I could for my sorrow I said, 'Yes! We thank God for such a good husband and father, we thank God that we are all here with you.'"

Aug. 20, 1907 entry: "Today we laid our dear Husband and Father to rest. Now the golden chain is broken, dear Papa is gone, no longer will this be the History of the J.H. Walker and Family. Now we must go our lonely way without the help of our dear loved one whose highest aim in life was to work for the good of his family. He toiled early and late as long as he could work in order that he might furnish us a home and the comforts of life although he suffered a great deal from the lameness that overtook him in the second year of our married life. If he had lived two more weeks we would have been married 36 years."

Aug. 21, 1907 entry: "Today a little girl (Gertrude Fay Walker) was born to Ira B. Walker and wife. We take up the History of the Family of James H. Walker."

Nov. 28, 1907 entry: "Thanksgiving Day we roast a turkey and eat it alone. Ira and Lida went to her mothers. I think Papa has always been with us on Thanksgiving before. Even though we sorrow we can not sit idly down as there is so much to do. We had 100 lbs. of dried plums, the fruit of our labors and we have put up the fruit as there has been plenty of all kinds this year. Clara is to be married at Christmas time and we are very busy, she has been preparing all year."

Dec. 25, 1907 entry: "The wedding day was a stormy one. Mrs. Estes gave the Christmas Dinner. Warren Ernest Bailey and Clara Belle Walker were married today."

June 16, 1909 entry: "Cora and children here for commencement as Ed Walker's boys Bernard and Arland are to graduate. Uncle Albert Doney and family are over from Sisson, Aunt Matt from Yreka and Uncle John Walker, his youngest boy Joe and wife from Big Valley, Modoc Co. Quite a family reunion. On June 8, Bertha started on a visit to Del Norte (County) to visit Clara, going by way of San Francisco and spending a few days in the City. Her health has been poor the last year and we hope a great deal from the visit."

Aug. 11, 1909 entry: "Goon (Chinese cook) and I and Etta have had a very busy summer with Bertha gone and Elizabeth very poor, but Etta and I have felt better and been able to do more than for a long time."

Aug. 28, 1909 entry: "The past week we have been very busy getting Elizabeth ready to go below to San Francisco to consult a Doctor. She has not been well for along time and Doctor Bathurst insists on her going to a specialist. Also this week Aunt Addie, Matt and Mabel Abbot have been out from Yreka paying their farewell visits as they are going to move from Yreka to Portland."

Sept. 3, 1909 entry: "The Doctor tells Elizabeth that she is suffering from Neuresthenia and an Anemic condition of the blood that she must have a change and rest and take a tonic, then in a year she may be good as new so she will go up to Clara's for awhile."

Nov 1, 1909 entry: "The boys have made 2 trips to Shasta Valley and bo't 268 head of cattle from Mitchell to feed the hay too. They pay .07 cts. per lb. and he buys them back at an advance of ½ cts. per month. They have put up 50 hogs to fatten here. Ira and Frank Dutra are our men here. Etta, Newt and Phil Gay moved to Eastside yesterday to watch the cattle as they go on the new alfalfa. It is fine. Etta enjoys keeping house over there and that leaves Bertha and I alone here in the house.

Dec. 4, 1909 entry: "A bitter cold wind and snow. Bertha and Mr. Mark C. Wood ( a friend of hers from Smith River) went to Ina's and Cora, Etta and the children went to Eastside. There came on such a bitter cold wind and snow they had trouble in getting there so could not get home that day. Mr. Wood and Bertha came down there too so they had quite a house party. Mr. Wood is a good talker and quite entertaining so they had a fine time. About 5 of 6 inches of snow drifted dreadfully at night. Rob (Cora's husband) came and he and we were so disappointed that Cora and the children were not here. But the telephone (!!!) worked when I told Cora that Rob was here the children had to talk to Papa (Rob)."

Jan. 24, 1910 entry: "The boys came over home with some calves. After they left I got dreadfully sick with pains in my chest and arms. I stood the pain a couple of hours doing what I could all of no avail, finally had to give up and telephone Etta and the Doctor. He gave me some medicine for the pains. Thursday had the Doctor again, he concluded the trouble was rheumatic. I do not suffer so much, but very weak and I wonder if I will always be no account now."

May 4, 1910 entry: "A little granddaughter was born at Smith River to Warren & Clara Bailey, name Isabel Walker Bailey, weigh 8 ½ lbs."

June 15, 1910 entry: "We have for sometime been considering a great change in our business. The ranch next to us, owned for about 40 years by Wm. D.H. and Martha Shelley was for sale and we have concluded to buy it and sell the Eastside ranch as soon as possible. Mr. Shelley sold this ranch about 7 years ago to the Bailey Bros. From Del Norte: Grant, Norman, John & Luster Bailey. Three years ago they sold the ranch to the Golden Creamery Co. from Chico. This company leases the Creamery old barn and one acre of land for 5 to 10 yrs. as they wish. Mr. Shelley traded for the place then owned by John Quigly and family of Oro Fino. Mr. and Mrs. Kearney Robinson have moved to Eastside and she is helping Etta cook for hay men, or rather, she goes ahead and Etta helps! They get along very nicely. Began haying there June 11th and crop of alfalfa is very good. There will be a good crop of fruit this year."

July 4, 1910 entry: "Celebration at Greenview. Newt and I go down to exercises. Ira, Lida and Gertrude are up at Grandma Fays. Etta and Lury Welch go to see Kate Davidson who is very sick. We all went to Greenview awhile in the evening. The fireworks were quite nice."

July 8, 1910 entry: "The men have come to this side to hay. We are now a family of 18 to 26 comers and goers."

Aug. 18, 1910 entry: "Jerome (Cora's son) and I came to Ina's last night and today we came on down. Mrs. McBride gave us some flowers and we came by the (Etna) Cemetery, leaving the flowers on Papa's and J.H. Ross graves. The boys moved baby up from Ft. Jones Cemetery this spring that it might lie by Papa. After 20 yrs. in the earth, the casquet was in good state of preservation and the babys little body and clothes had just gone to nothing. I did not see it but they told the cemetery at the Ft. Jones is so dry up on the hillside. The threshers coming before supper and Etta resting in bed as she had overdone the day before getting ready to come home, etc. after such a long siege of haying. There were 40 for supper that evening as there were grain stackers as well as threshers. We got along very well as we had two long tables in the dining room seating 24 at once."

Her last entry Aug. 24, 1910: "When the threshers left we had to go to work drying corn and plums, putting up corn, plums, etc."


Additional notes:

Mark C. Wood and Bertha Mary Walker were married in Scott Valley on
Nov. 9, 1910.

Mary Elizabeth Cory Walker (authoress of this Diary) passed over December, 1910 at the age of 60.

Newton Levering Walker and Emily Pearl Hig??? were married in Yreka on Jan. 8, 1919.

It is amazing that in reading this Diary and re-typing parts of it, I have come to feel like I know these people! We continue to search out more information and will add it as it becomes available.


Che'usa and Eb
April 8, 2009


* * * * * *


Go back Index of Writings



Check out
the latest adventures
of 'The First Lady'