14. Fort Goff: Mile marker 56.0
Photo courtesy Greg
- Goff was named by miner John Goff in 1851. A temporary
military encampment caused the attachment of "Fort" to the name in
the 1860s by soldiers on their way to the Rogue Valley Indian
- William, James and John Wood of Ireland started hydraulic
mining at Goff in mid-1855. The Wood brothers operated a small
water powered sawmill to provide lumber for flumes and buildings.
It was common practice to locate sawmills near mining claims.
15. Savage Rapids: Mile marker 55.0
- Below the rapids, easy river access can be found for swimming
in slow moving water. Snorklers can explore the bedrock which is
beaten smooth by swift winter currents pushing an endless flow of
tumbling rocks. This pounding of the quartz veins releases trapped
- A million dollars in gold reportedly was suction dredged here
by a local mining club in 1988.
- Savage Rapids is an excellent practice area for experienced
kayakers who are able to paddle upriver along the side and
repeatedly challenge the rapids.
Creek: Mile marker 52.5
Services: Lodging, Real Estate
Dave Wood & Jessey Stevens
Photo courtesy Hazel
- Downriver, near Thompson Creek, was a mining
settlement called Nolton. The town boasted a store, post
office and boarding house in the late 1800s.
- One of the first recorded sightings of Bigfoot was
reported in this area by several Chinese miners. All of
them came running into camp, terrified after sighting a
huge hairy man digging in the ground and eating roots.
They were so frightened they refused to go back to work.
Their shock and fear added truth to the story.
- At Shinar Creek, John Pitt Shinar and Stanton Shinar
were working the Minetta Bee mine across the river. Heavy
rains caused their boat to wash away, stranding them for
about 10 days during the flood of 1890. Their mother,
Elizabeth Shinar, and sister Mary Ann, used bow and
arrows to shoot food across the river in order for the
men to survive.
- In 1940s, a 3.4-mile-long aerial tramway brought
copper ore down from Gray Eagle Mine to a loading
facility at the mouth of Thompson Creek. At the time,
this mine was the largest copper producer in