29. Somes Bar: Mile marker 0.75
Services: Grocery, camping, RV park, cabin rentals, dining
lodge, rafting and fishing guide services, pack trail rides, mountain
- In Karuk language, this area was known as Ueeti-luk.
- Ishi Pishi Falls can be viewed from the highway and is more
whitewater than a "waterfall." Rafters should be aware that Ishi
Pishi is unrunable.
- Abraham Somes, with partner and friend, William Tripp, built
the town in the early 1850s to supply miners in the area. Somes
Bar originally was located about a mile and a half up the Salmon
River, but floods and fire over the years resulted in its
relocation. The Tripp and Conrad families still make up a large
portion of the residents in the area today.
- In the spring of 1851, miners flocked into the Salmon River
area. They came poorly equipped and expected pack trains to supply
their food. A snow storm blocked all access and the men had to eat
their mules and shoe leather to survive. This was known as "Salmon
River Starvation Times."
- Junction School District was first established in 1892. This
is a primary school- currently with two teachers, one of whom is
- President Herbert Hoover had a hideaway cabin on Wooley Creek.
His personal interest was partly responsible for protecting the
Marble Mountains as a Wilderness Area.
- The rugged steep mountains surrounding the area allow for only
three hours of sunshine during winter.
- Following Ishi Pishi road behind the store for a half mile
will take you to a magnificent aerial view of the mouth of the
Salmon River entering the Klamath.
Along the 180-mile length of the Klamath, many nests can be found
that are built on top of sturdy trees overlooking the river. The
pioneers regarded the Osprey as a fish crow. Its diet is strictly
live or injured fish, mainly the river suckers. The birds arrive in
early April. The Osprey fishes constantly, whereas the Bald Eagle is
an opportunist, many times diving on the Osprey to steal its